Favorite Holiday Movies

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is curling up on the couch with blankets, a cocktail & a roaring fire to watch Christmas movies! I mean, hands down, is there anything better?! We do movie nights every Friday with the girls, with either popcorn or hot chocolate, and it’s something we all look forward to all week long.

I don’t remember going to sleep once when I was little without the background noise of It’s a Wonderful Life playing on our living room TV. The black and white film & all of the music is so nostalgic for me and puts me in the most festive mood!! Our family can quote Christmas Vacation from start to finish and I grew up dreaming of living in the Home Alone house one day.

Sharing our favorite movies for those of you looking for a little movie night inspiration!

I would love to hear your favorites, are they the same as ours or something we didn’t think of?! And if you haven’t seen Prancer in a few years, be sure to add it to your list!! xo

Allie
    December 4, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Ill be Home for Christmas, Christmas with the Kranks and The Santa Clause.

Karlie
    December 4, 2017 at 1:23 pm

My girls and I love all The Santa Claus movies. Tim Allen always cracks me up 🙂

Lindsay
    December 4, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Die Hard. But that’s for when the Little’s are asleep!

kendra henderson
    December 4, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Christmas with the Kranks!!

Brianna Stoner
      December 5, 2017 at 7:07 am

Yes!!!! Love this movie. I watch it every year and I still laugh!

Jackie
    December 4, 2017 at 2:29 pm

The Santa Clause!!!

Shawna
    December 4, 2017 at 2:54 pm

White Christmas, Rudolph, Charlie Brown Christmas and Holiday Inn! The singing and dancing in White Christmas kept my sisters and I entertained for hours!! Merry Christmas!

Erin Magana
    December 4, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Santa Claus the Movie. With Dudley Moore. Was a favorite as a kid.

Amy Fauska
    December 4, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Oh, we love Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas. It’s an old Jim Henson production. Can’t forget Gremlins 🙂

tori
    December 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Four Christmases!!!

Allyson
    December 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Scrooged, The Santa Clause, and White Christmas is a must!

December 4, 2017 at 6:20 pm

I JUST tried to find Prancer at the library today.

Kate
    December 4, 2017 at 6:29 pm

The Santa Clause with Tim Allen is my absolute fave… makes me laugh every time and always feels magical 🙂 glad you included the family stone! Also one of my favorites and what I plan to que up as the Christmas movie of the evening! 🙂 happy holiday season!

Katie
    December 4, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Miracle on 34th Street was always my favorite growing up. Can’t argue with Home Alone and Elf though!

Gemma
    December 4, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Scrooged! It’s one of my favorite Christmas movies ever.

Jenna
    December 4, 2017 at 6:31 pm

All of these + The Santa Claus! 🎅🏻

Jenna
    December 4, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Oh my gosh and All I Want for Christmas! One of my favs!

Natasha
      December 4, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Mine too! Such a classic!

Jenny
    December 4, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Yes, Prancer!!!

I can’t believe White Christmas isn’t on that list yet. My daughter doesn’t want to watch anything else!

Jessica Garvin
      December 4, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I’m actually not sure if I’ve ever seen the whole thing?!!

Nicole
    December 4, 2017 at 6:52 pm

The polar express is my family’s favorite holiday movie ❤️

Kristy
    December 4, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I love Christmas with the Kranks and Four Christmases!

Ashley
    December 4, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Polar express is my boys favorite!!

Rhawnie
    December 4, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Polar express ☺️

Brittant
    December 4, 2017 at 7:17 pm

We love White Christmas, Little Women, Christmas with the Keanu’s, Grumpy Old Men, and Four Christmases! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Brittany harris
    December 4, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Christmas Oranges 🍊

Rebecca
    December 4, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I always feel like ‘Serendipity’ if a Christmas time movie for ys!

Laura
    December 4, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Miracle on 34th St! Makes me tear up every time

Steph
    December 4, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Gosh I love Prancer even though the dad still terrifies me to this day. The Ref is one of the most hilarious Christmas movies of all time.

Jaimee
    December 4, 2017 at 8:42 pm

If you don’t cry every single time at The Family Stone 😂

Kerry Kiepper
    December 4, 2017 at 8:58 pm

The family stone is one of my favorite movies ever! I watch it over and over! My other favorite is four Christmases, besides Christmas vacation 😜

Jamie
    December 4, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Arthur Christmas & Polar Express are kid classics here. I’m a sucker for Scrooged, Love Actually & Christmas Vacation 🎄

Angela
      December 6, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I agree with Arthur Christmas! It is such a cute movie and I feel like many people don’t know about it.

Tina Power
    December 4, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Four Christmases is my husbands favourite (and mine) and of course the all time greatest….Scrooged!

michelle
    December 4, 2017 at 10:04 pm

The Family Man!!! Also Little Women, White Christmas, and when kids are a little older (elementary aged) The Santa Clause

Aubrey
      December 5, 2017 at 11:44 am

omg, The Family Man is MY FAVE!!

Monica
    December 4, 2017 at 11:31 pm

My girls love Eloise at Christmas Time, cartoon version of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and Charlie Brown Christmas. I love those too, plus The Family Stone, The Christmas Story and White Christmas.

Jennifer
    December 5, 2017 at 5:07 am

Four Christmases (Already watched twice)
    White Christmas
    Miracle on 34th Street (went there last year during Christmas time and it was magical. Childhood dream came true!)
    Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
    Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmas
    Yogi’s First Christmas
    The Smurfs’ Christmas Special (1980s)
    ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas (1970s version…not a movie but watch every year)

Colleen
    December 5, 2017 at 6:40 am

Not kid friendly, but Just Friends with Ryan Reynolds and Anna Faris. It’s so funny, and takes place during Christmas so that counts if Die Hard does 🙂

Angela
      December 6, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I’m so happy someone posted this! My husband and I love Just Friends and quote it year round!

Samantha Armendariz
    December 5, 2017 at 6:50 am

Emmett Otter’s Jug Band, A Muppet Christmas Carol, and Polar Express!

Brianna Stoner
    December 5, 2017 at 7:09 am

I haven’t watched Prancer since I was a kid but I remember it being really sad and I always creid watching it. I’m afraid watch it again…

Bhanu
    December 5, 2017 at 7:27 am

The Hubz and I are obsessed with Office Christmas Party (best watched when the kids are asleep and with a festive drink in hand !!)

Kathy
    December 5, 2017 at 8:20 am

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (claymation style) and Polar Express! My daycare provider has a Polar Express day every year around Christmas time. The kids wear their pajamas and they get to eat popcorn and have hot chocolate while they watch the movie. They even line the chairs up in rows to make it seem like they are riding on a train. My boys love it!

Jennifer
    December 5, 2017 at 8:28 am

White Christmas !!!! Also claymation Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman.

Holly
    December 5, 2017 at 8:41 am

White Christmas, The Grinch (both animated and live action), a Year without a Santa Claus, The Santa Claus, A Christmas Carol, Christmas Vacation and any Hallmark Christmas movie, because DUH!

Susie Turner
    December 5, 2017 at 8:44 am

My kids love The 🎅 Santa Clause!! I can honestly say I’ve never seen the family stone!! I need to watch it ASAP!

Kitty
    December 5, 2017 at 8:49 am

I’m a sucker for all the Hallmark holiday movies and Love Actually…but my four year old daughter loves: (not in this particular order)
    1. Curious George: A Very Monkey Christmas
    2. Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas
    3. Mickey’s Christmas Carol
    4. Santa Paws
    5. Santa Paws 2
    6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    7. Rudolph
    8. Frosty the Snowman

Morgan
    December 5, 2017 at 9:06 am

It’s a tie between The Muppet Christmas Carol and A Christmas Story for my absolute favorite. My husband and I have a tradition where we watch It’s A Wonderful Life together with hot chocolate on Christmas Eve after everything else is done. My two year old son’s favorite so far is actually The Holiday! It was the first movie he ever actually watched and laughed at when he was 18 mo.

Stephanie
    December 5, 2017 at 9:49 am

I make fettuccine alfredo for Christmas Eve dinner every year because of The Holiday. Love that movie!

Abby
    December 5, 2017 at 9:58 am

I LOVE Prancer! It is one of my all time favorites! Also, if you’ve never seen the Dolly Parton movie Smokey Mountain Christmas you must!

Renee
    December 5, 2017 at 10:33 am

My husband believes die hard is the only Christmas movie but we watch White Christmas as well!

Elena Ridley
    December 5, 2017 at 11:30 am

Four Christmases, Fred Claus, Muppets Christmas Carole (great songs for the kids!) and Scrooged—love your list too with Christmas Vacation being our top favorite & Family Stone being another top favorite.

Amber
    December 5, 2017 at 12:01 pm

It’s a Wonderful Life! Hands down the best movie ever! Gives you all the feels!

Eva
    December 5, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Little Lord Fauntleroy
    Love actually
    Polar express
    The grinch
    My favorits😊

Amanda
    December 5, 2017 at 12:26 pm

The Santa Clause has always been my #1 favorite! I believed every part of it when I was a little girl. Obviously that’s how the North Pole looks in real life, and how else does a Santa retire? 🙂

Melissa
    December 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm

The ones you listed are our favs too! And Steve and I just watched 4 christmases and it might become one of our new favs.

Chelsea
    December 5, 2017 at 12:39 pm

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is #1 forever. Distant seconds: Home Alone, While You Were Sleeping, and The Family Stone.

Amy
    December 5, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Prep and Landing 1 & 2 are both adorable. And can’t go wrong with all three of The Santa Claus movies!

Erin
    December 5, 2017 at 2:14 pm

My best friend mentioned I need to add Love The Coopers to my list-I’ll let you know 😉

Christina
    December 5, 2017 at 2:18 pm

The Santa Clause, Polar Express and The Christmas Carol (Jim Carey version)

Ashley Nolan
    December 5, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I second The Family Man! No kids in our household yet so Scrooged is watched yearly and Die Hard to appease the boyfriend!

Kaitlin
    December 5, 2017 at 5:15 pm

One Magic Christmas. Hardly anyone I talk to has heard of it, but it was my favorite to watch with my mom when I was growing up.

Amanda Boeckholt
    December 5, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Four Christmases for sure! ❤️

Marie
    December 5, 2017 at 9:02 pm

We also watch Family Man every December and A Christmas Carol (the animated one with Jim Carey)
    LOVE Christmas movies!

Kristen
    December 6, 2017 at 8:39 am

We go really old school–Muppet Family Christmas! It was a TV special in the late 80’s with all the Muppets, Fraggles, and Sesame Street characters–I was obsessed as a kid (yep, we definitely taped it ourselves). You can watch the whole movie on YouTube! My kids love it just as much as I do!

Kelly
    December 6, 2017 at 10:08 am

The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus (claymation from 1985) and Twas the Night Before Christmas (1970’s cartoon with the mouse family that fixes the clock)…my 5.5 year old has loved watching both with me this year, while my 2-year old watching any parts with singing and destroys the house while we watch the rest of the time!!! So much fun 😉

Laura
    December 6, 2017 at 11:00 am

A few of our favorite are White Christmas, A Muppet Christmas Carol, Elf, The Christmas Story, Home Alone, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both versions), National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Love Actually. Love binging on these movies all December!

Andi Jennison
    December 7, 2017 at 7:14 am

With the hubby: Just Friends (don’t watch with the kiddos)! 😉
    The whole fam: Eloise At Christmastime
    Snuggled up by myself: While You Were Sleeping (and the family stone of course!)

Love all the ones in your list! I wanted to live in the Home Alone house too! And my mom recently sent me a school project that I completed in school outlining my dream home – it totally described Kevin’s suite at The Plaza from Home Alone 2, haha! 🙂

Britney
    December 7, 2017 at 8:19 am

White Christmas on repeat!
    Four Christmases

Stephanie Allen
    December 7, 2017 at 8:46 am

1) Christmas Vacation
    2) Home Alone & Home Alone 2
    3) The Santa Clause
    4) The Family Stone
    5) Just Friends
    6) Four Christmas’s
    7) Muppets Christmas
    8) Christmas with the Kranks
    9) Charlie Brown Christmas
    10) Miracle on 34th Street

And 2 new ones from this year: Daddys Home 2 (so hilarious) + Bad Moms Christmas (actually way better than I expected).

My tradition is to always save National Lampoons Christmas Vacation for last and watch it on the 23rd out of my moose mug with eggnog and laugh my butt off and then watch The Family Stone and cry like a little baby…ahh traditions! 🎄😂

Brittany Fry
    December 8, 2017 at 11:17 am

The Santa Claus! but only really like the original one. Elf and The Grinch have already been watch a handful of times each!!!

Katherine
    December 9, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I loved hearing everyone’s Christmas movies they like. I forgot about a few of them. This is very random but where did you get the pom pom blanket and basket to the right of your TV stand. 🤣 The basket looks like one I saw on the Magnolia website but wasn’t sure. Thanks!!

Alison
    December 10, 2017 at 1:04 am

I love old movies, and old Christmas movies are some of my favorites!! Holiday Inn, Christmas in Connecticut (which are streaming on Amazon right now), as well as It’s a Wonderful Life and White Christmas!

Alison
    December 10, 2017 at 11:11 am

Have you ever watched Prep & Landing? It’s a super-cute Disney short (with a sequel!) about elves that prepare homes for Santa’s arrival. It’s hilarious & heart-warming. We always watch it on Christmas Eve. If you haven’t seen it, you should check it out. Your girls will love it!

Tawny
    December 12, 2017 at 6:40 am

The Nutcracker is a favorite (and holiday tradition of mine!!). I always find it so beautiful and magical. Since I was young, my mom and aunt would take all the girl cousins to go see the live ballet. Now that I am living far from home, I have continued (and created) the tradition with friends.

Harper is at the perfect age that she can sit through and I can only imagine how much she would be obsessed with the tutus!!

Leigh
    December 12, 2017 at 8:27 am

Last year, Home Alone 2 became my favorite Christmas movie. My three daughters are grown up (2 are married and 1 is a medical resident). They were all here for Christmas and we decided to watch Home Alone 2. Towards the end, the sound started messing up so my “baby” (the doctor) recited the whole thing from memory ❤️❤️❤️

Leigh
      December 12, 2017 at 8:28 am

….forgot to mention, she’s doing her residency in New York City!!!