Cultivating Happiness.

We have been a little quiet over here, although we have a lot of big things in the works, and one of those is bringing more content to the blog that focuses on health & happiness. I talked a little bit about some of the healthier habits we will be making in our lives & thought I should touch a little bit on the happy habits as well. I have been working on this for a few weeks, jotting down notes here & there of things we try to do, listening to a lot of personal development podcasts & learning more about the habits of happy people, and wanted to share my list with you today!

1. Make the things you love a priority. Write down five things that you love doing (reading, running, laying in bed drinking coffee while scrolling pinterest, whatever it is) and put them on your calendar, make them a non negotiable.

2. Take care of yourself. Self care is not optional, you must take care of yourself before you can care for others. Wash off your makeup & take your vitamins, you will feel like a brand new human.

3. Get a full night’s sleep & wake up early.

4. Eat your veggies but never say no to your favorite dessert. Putting good things into our bodies is important, but so is giving ourselves grace.

5. Be proactive about getting rid of negativity in your life. Unfollow social media accounts that evoke negative feelings or comparison & take breaks from spending time with people who make you feel anything but good.

6. Be grateful. Make a list daily of five things you are thankful for, and tell the people in your life how thankful you are for them.

7. Get inspired! Listen to podcasts or ted talks, make a playlist of songs that give you good vibes and make a pinterest board full of inspiring quotes or images & look at it first thing in the morning while you sip your coffee. Refueling your idea bank is good for the soul!

8. Live in the moment. Easier said than done, especially if you are a dreamer (or a multitasker), but we must live in the moment to experience true happiness, especially if you have babies growing up right before your eyes.

9. PRAY. “The greatest tragedy in life is the prayers that go unanswered because they go unasked. Bold prayers honor God, and God honors bold prayers. God isn’t offended by your biggest dreams or boldest prayers, he is offended by anything less. ” – The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson

10. Go out of your way to do something kind for someone else, as often as you can. Spread love!

What steps do you take in your daily life to cultivate happiness for yourself & your family? Do you want to see more content like this on the blog moving forward?! Hope you all have had an amazing start to your new year!! xo

ashley
    January 16, 2018 at 1:32 pm

I love this!!!!! Thank you for sharing 🙂

ashley
      January 17, 2018 at 11:59 am

Actually.. this was the worst post ever. Since i read this, I ate two jumbo cookies and I’m blaming you!! 🙂 😉 HAHA. Jk Jk

ashlee
    January 16, 2018 at 1:35 pm

this is such an AWESOME post! we all need this.

Trina
    January 16, 2018 at 2:14 pm

I love all of these! Wine makes me happy so I’ll be sure to include a lot more of that-No negotiations! LOL
    In regards to #5: Is it bad if I unfollow all of my social media friends that seem to be popping babies out every week? My husband & I are unable to conceive at this time and it’s making me loopy to to see all these baby/pregnancy posts! I feel bad though if I don’t comment on their millions of posts. Tips?

Emily Powell
      January 16, 2018 at 9:23 pm

I’ve been there with trying to have a baby and unfollowing everyone or just getting off social media all together. Honestly, give yourself grace and just take a break from it all. And, read The Circle Maker. I read it while trying to get pregnant with my second. It took me 2.5 years and 2 miscarriages to get pregnant with him but that book reignited my ability to have hope. It was a game changer in terms of my attitude on the topic.

gina
      January 17, 2018 at 6:47 am

Not at all! Ive def unfollowed friends who annoy me with their posts. Hell, I’ve even unfollowed my mother in law because she always posts annoying crap haha. Bottom line is, it’s just social media. Some people make a big deal over it, but really it’s not.

Krysten
      January 18, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Not bad at all! That is a form of self care and it is important to listen to your heart and what it needs. My husband and I went through 2.5 years of infertility treatment and also had an ectopic pregnancy. Everyone around me was getting pregnant and it was hard seeing the announcements. Yoga helped reframe my heart and mind and we ended up having our little guy this past fall via IVF. When I did announce my pregnancy, I shared our story and emphasized that miracles are possible and that hope never fails.

Vanessa
    January 16, 2018 at 2:24 pm

I LOVE seeing content like this here! My favorite part of New Years is seeing all of the inspiring quotes/comments being shared.

Ashlee Tibbetts
    January 16, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Love all of this so much! One of my favorite blog posts that you’ve ever written! 🙂

Ashley P
    January 16, 2018 at 2:42 pm

I LOVE this so much!

Nitsa Jensen
    January 16, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Jessica, I absolutely LOVE this list! You are so right on every point! I know we will definitely be focusing more on positivity, gratefulness, happiness & taking better care of ourselves this year. Thanks for sharing and can’t wait to read more about health & happiness on your blog!

xx, Nitsa

January 16, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Beautiful post!!! This post sounds like my New Year’s Resolution 🙂 My focus is on relaxing, enjoying my family, and just being. It’s so easy to get caught up in goals and productivity and all that, but I just want to be happy and literally enjoy every single day!
    A few things I love include: Snuggling with my babies (I also have three daughters the same ages as yours!), taking workout classes, going on drives and to Starbucks with my husband (we do this daily!), cuddling up in bed and watching TV!
    Love this type of content!! Keep it coming!
    -Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

Lindsey
    January 16, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Yes. Yes. Yes. To everything.

Justine
    January 16, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Love this! Great post, so much truth. Thanks for sharing!

Vida
    January 16, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Loves this so much. It was just what i needed to read. ❤️

Ally
    January 16, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Any podcasts in particular you find inspiring? I’ve never listened to a podcast because I don’t know where to start!

Jenna
      January 17, 2018 at 11:19 am

I would love some podcast recommendations as well!

Robin
        January 18, 2018 at 4:49 am

Check out Coffee and Crumbs

Linsey
    January 16, 2018 at 8:16 pm

This is one of my most favorite posts you have blogged. Thank you Jessica for being so inspiring and amazing! ❤️

Molly
    January 16, 2018 at 8:27 pm

I’ve been doing the same thing this year! Love this post so much! Have you tried a 5 minute meditation? Anytime I feel myself withdrawing, for any reason, I do a little meditation (the headspace app is where it’s at) and it totally turns my day around!

& the biggest pick me up is without a doubt doing something for the the greater good. I’ve noticed the days I spend a few hours volunteering are the days I feel happiest and most myself.

Thank you for sharing these! It’s so hard to slow down and just live in a world that moves so fast!

Angie
    January 16, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Love this! A lot has been going on in my life and I too want to find time to be able to focus more on the positive and the good – the blessings in my life. I know life can throw us all curveballs but I hope to be able to push through it and come out stronger than before.

I hope everything is okay with you? I know you mentioned you had a scare. Will youeventually share to your readers ?

Hoping you and your family have a healthy and happy 2018! Can’t wait to read
    More similar posts. Always love your content!

Piper
    January 16, 2018 at 9:06 pm

been listening to more podcasts as well…would love a new list to download! Your blog beams happiness which is why i love coming to it!

Kaitlyn Hammond
    January 16, 2018 at 9:06 pm

I was able to hear Mark Batterson speak this past year at a MOPS conference and that quote shook me to the core when he said it. I loved everything he had to say about prayer and can’t wait to read his book. Thanks for sharing this on your list!

Courtney
    January 16, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Love this post so much! Any favorite podcasts or books that you’ve found inspiring?

Jean S
    January 16, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Absolutely love this list. Going to have to bookmark this post and read it a few more times. We definitely have the same goals for the new year.

Emily Powell
    January 16, 2018 at 9:19 pm

The Circle Maker is my jam. When I read that quote I thought it sounded so familiar. I recommend that book to EVERYONE! I even had someone seem super uninterested in it, so I just mailed them my copy because I knew they needed it in their life. Was instantly their favorite book!

Katherine Fischer
    January 16, 2018 at 10:07 pm

SO good. All of it.

Kristin
    January 16, 2018 at 10:10 pm

❤️❤️❤️ great list! Thanks!!

Linda
    January 17, 2018 at 12:14 am

LOVE this post! So inspiring!!

Jen
    January 17, 2018 at 5:06 am

#6, #7, and #10 are three that I really live by! To me, being grateful is the not-so-secret secret to happiness. If I think about the things, experiences, and people I am most grateful for at the beginning and end of each day, I find I am happier, more content, more at peace. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Kelly
    January 17, 2018 at 6:51 am

Love this!! Need to cultivate a lot more joy and happiness this year!

Ashley Wiggins
    January 17, 2018 at 7:47 am

This is perfect!! Thank you so much!

Kay Steele
    January 17, 2018 at 8:04 am

#9. Wow! That really spoke to me!

LINDSEY S STROMBERG
    January 17, 2018 at 8:45 am

Love these! Thanks for sharing.

brittney
    January 17, 2018 at 9:09 am

all so good. keep on spreading the love this way 🙂 we all could use these reminders on the regular!

Emily
    January 17, 2018 at 9:40 am

Hi, Jessica! I love this sort of content. Cultivating happiness and slowing down to enjoy life are both goals of mine in 2018. I, too, am listening to more podcasts about happiness and habits of happy people. In addition to content like this, I’d love to know what some of your favorite podcasts are!

Brittney
    January 17, 2018 at 9:44 am

These are all so great! I especially need to work on making the things I love a priority! I would love to hear what your favorite podcasts are. I am always looking for new ones!

Elena Ridley
    January 17, 2018 at 10:13 am

I’d love to see a list of your favorite podcasts! This is amazing! Really trying to focus on the positives more this year as well & taking more time to be present IRL rather than being tied up on my phone and social media, but also want to grow my instagram & side business, I suppose it’s a balance I’m striving to find!

Bridget Black
    January 17, 2018 at 10:14 am

love this. love your “pray” note….. doesn’t it always transform your thought and perspective?! love it.

Ashley
    January 17, 2018 at 11:01 am

Love love love this post. Especially the quote about unanswered and unasked for prayers.

Brandi Kennedy
    January 17, 2018 at 12:21 pm

This was a great post, and one I plan to keep in mind. The quote about prayer in general and being bold in prayer more specifically really stood out to me too – I tend to pray with great caution, almost as if God would scoff at what I most want in my life. But then I remind myself that HE is the one who planted my dreams, and that all He’s waiting for is for me to request manifestation. Thank you for the reminder.

Sara O'Brien
    January 17, 2018 at 2:38 pm

This is a great list – something I have also been trying to do in the new year. #5 being one of the biggest. Clearing out those just make you feel inferior or just bad about your life. Do what makes you happy. And I hear the mamas going through infertility or miscarriages, it’s hard to see those announcements, clear them out.

I stumbled upon this song & think it goes with this theme very well. Little Big Town – Happy People –> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcJiamY9N8

Caity
    January 17, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Any podcasts you recommend??

Courtney
    January 18, 2018 at 6:42 am

I LOVE this post!! Balance in such a real, attainable way. Thank you for sharing that prayer quote, I wrote it in my devotional to read every morning! ❤️

Melissa
    January 18, 2018 at 9:18 am

A post about what podcast you listen too would be great!

Alexa
    January 19, 2018 at 9:05 am

What a wonderful and inspiring post! I believe the points made in this post are the key to life. I always look forward to reading your posts.

Robin
    January 20, 2018 at 6:48 am

I love posts like these! Please do more. It’s a nice reminder and tips on how to live a happier life…we all need it 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Katherine
    January 20, 2018 at 10:44 am

Love this post. Can you also share some of the podcast you list to. Thank you

sirma
    January 25, 2018 at 9:10 am

negativity is something i struggle with. trying to keep things clean, real and positieve.
    Also ful nights sleep is big issue around here with my 3 weeks old:)))))

Ann g
    January 25, 2018 at 7:58 pm

Can you post a blog of some of your favorite podcasts??

michelle
    January 26, 2018 at 2:04 pm

What I great list, I wholeheartedly support your mission to cultivate happiness. Thanks for the inspiration as always 🙂

Stephanie
    January 26, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Yes, Jessica. I would love to see more things like this as 2018 unfolds! Thank you for being so intentional about your blog and what you put out there. I highly appreciate and respect what you are putting out into our world. Thank you!

Blair
    January 30, 2018 at 7:17 am

Just coming back to this from your happiness list. I am curious what your scare was and hope whatever it was has been sorted. I love these posts and I agree with several of the other commenters that the best things about the new year is all of the inspiring quotes, lists and dreams put out there. Cannot wait to follow along as you bring happiness to everyone around you and those sweet baby girls!

Annie