Laundry Room Refresh

Our laundry room might be the hardest room in the house to photograph, with a big window pouring light right onto everything but also so small I can’t quite get a big picture shot. So these are going to have to do for now, and we are so excited to have an updated & super functional laundry space c/o my handy (and handsome) hubby!!

We tore out the existing cabinets above the washer & dryer, added some exposed shelves (using these brackets) and a surround. Having a table top over the washer & dryer is SO functional for sorting and folding. It definitely doesn’t help my lack of enthusiasm for actually putting them away though, sometimes they sit folded all week (oops!). We took out the plastic sink & added a large basin stainless steel sink, which we use all the time for the girls muddy boots + all of our paintbrushes from projects. Instructions for how we did everything can be found here!

Here is the before picture!!

We did this entire project for under $500 and I think it adds a ton of character & charm! If you are looking to do an affordable laundry update, I hope this can give you a little bit of inspiration!

Now back to actually folding that laundry. XO

Rebecca Williams
    January 24, 2018 at 3:49 pm

SO you got rid of the side kick? Not functional enough or didn’t fit the aesthetics of the room? (or maybe that’s just a really high counter and it’s still there, can’t tell)

Amanda Harris
    January 24, 2018 at 4:43 pm

What stain did you use? I love the color of it.

Katie
      January 26, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Also interested in the stain you used. I love it, too!

Danielle
    January 24, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Thank you, Jessica. I am equally as interested in what looks like your natural cleaning methods. Can you share some recipes as well as their efficacy: can you get kids clothes clean?? Special stain treatment?? I have been struggling with this as we attempt to ditch the chemicals. Used oxyclean the other day with a double rinse bc I wanted to be sure to save a favorite dress but I feel guilty! Anyway, thank you again!

Tiffany
    January 24, 2018 at 9:39 pm

This is so cute! I love it when simple updates make such a big difference!

Carly
    January 25, 2018 at 5:03 am

Beautiful refresh! I’d love to know where you got the light fixture, if you’re able to share. That’s just what we’re looking for for our laundry room!

Jeanne
    January 25, 2018 at 7:17 am

It’s beautiful! I love that you did it for such an affordable price, you have inspired me once again!

Gina
    January 25, 2018 at 7:27 am

Im interested in your cleaning products on the shelfs, and how you use them! Can you do a blog post on your natural laundry/cleaning routine? I recently bought a bottle of Peppermint Castile soap that I use for washing my face in the morning (amazingly refreshing might I add), but I’m def interested in how you clean with it!

Natalie
    January 25, 2018 at 7:47 am

This is a dream. I despise the layout of our laundry room and feel it’s way to small for a family of four to function as a mud room and laundry area. There is no place to fold laundry so we resort to doing it on our kitchen counters. We have considered moving our laundry to the basement when we finish it to make it a dedicated laundry space and making the existing laundry a dedicated mud room for shoes and coats etc . Love the counters

Laura Diiulio
    January 25, 2018 at 8:00 am

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, as always, Garvins! I wouldn’t even mind doing laundry in this inspiring space!

Meggan
    January 25, 2018 at 8:14 am

Beautiful! I had a front loader for years. My back always bothered me when I had to put clothes from the washer to the dryer (we didn’t have pedestal drawers). I bought a foldable short step stool to keep in that area so I could sit while switching loads and it helped a ton!!

angeka
    January 25, 2018 at 9:01 am

Tell all the secrets for keeping on top of cleaning your beautiful home! Do you have help?

Katie
    January 25, 2018 at 10:31 am

freaking love this idea!!!!!!!! I have an issue with leaving clothes on the drier too….and then they shake off little by little as the drier moves! I wonder if I should ask Chad to build me something like this…..or just stop leaving my clothes there. hmmm!

Ashley
    January 25, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Did you get rid of the pedestal? Was thinking of doing something similar in my laundry room but have the pedestals.

Kristin
    January 26, 2018 at 8:18 am

Oh my gosh I love this!

Lindsay
    January 31, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Absolutely beautiful!! May I ask what stain color you used?