5 Ways to Cozy Up Your Home for Fall

Happy September!! The first official day of Fall is just a few weeks away and that means we are ready to open the windows & pull out all the fuzzy blankets. I can’t wait until our local farms are full of pumpkins so we can line our steps & fill our house, but until then, I wanted to share 5 ways that we are cozying up our home for Fall! Because I just couldn’t wait any longer.

Couch // Polka Dot Pillows // Fall Branches // Blanket // Coffee Table // Rug

1. Bring out all the cozy blankets, pillows & table linens. We are pillow & blanket hoarders over here, so even the slightest 60 degree breeze will have me piling blankets on the couches & beds. I love an extra basket in each room with some blankets, adding quilts to beds, and table runners or tablecloths to throw on the outside table when we are entertaining. I’m not opposed to having so many pillows on the couch that there is hardly room to sit. Using thicker textures like linen or soft faux fur will make every room feel warm & inviting!

2. Switch out accessories. One of the reasons I love neutrals so much is that it is so easy to make each room reflect the season. I like to switch out our brightly colored patio plates, berry baskets & cocktail glasses for copper mugs, cutting boards & cake stands. Adding a Fall garland to the mantle or even adding in festive artwork on the walls will make everything come together.

3. Bring the outside in! Pulling twigs or branches from outside to stick in a vase will instantly give your house a Fall feel. If you don’t have good branches quite yet, faux stems like these, will also do the trick.

4. Fill up your diffuser. It’s no secret we love essential oils & diffusing them to make our home smell like Fall all day long is one of my favorite ways to use them. You can see a list of our favorite diffuser blends here, they are a great alternative to candles (which are expensive & full of toxins) & a few drops go a long way to keep your house smelling amazing all season long! PS. I still have candles all over my house for decoration, I will never get rid of those pretty volcano jars! πŸ™‚

5. Set the mood with a Fall playlist, I love having music on in the kitchen all day long. Here is our favorite Fall playlist, and I’m also loving everything on the new John Mayer album.

Can’t wait to share our full Fall decor home tour soon! In the meantime, happy decorating!! XO

September 5, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Ahhh so cute!!! I can’t wait to decorate! I also plan on incorporating neutrals this year. Classy and cozy, but still festive!!!

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

Brittany Williford
    September 5, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I have been looking forward to your fall posts for weeks now! You are so creative and with fall and Halloween being my absolute favorite, I always LOVE to see what you put together and plan! Happy (almost) fall!

a
    September 5, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Hey Jessica–reviews on the Anthro rug says it sheds like crazy. What has your experience been?

Jessica Garvin
      September 5, 2017 at 3:18 pm

It does shed, more in the beginning though, and if you run a vaccuum over it frequently, it goes away. We have had our bathroom runner for two years or so and it doesn’t shed at all anymore! πŸ™‚

a
        September 7, 2017 at 7:16 am

Thanks! That’s helpful. How do you think a smaller version of it would do in the kitchen? Would it need a non-slip pad?

Ashley Dirks
    September 5, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Fall=HOCUS POCUS!!! I found free Hocus Pocus printables from Pinterest so I’m putting them all over the house! And of course we’re already watching it on repeat. I even ordered my girls matching Hocus Pocus pearl dresses, and a matching mommy raglan tee! I’m so excited to get them in and start wearing them!!! My soon to be 5 year old even requested a Hocus Pocus birthday, which I’m more than happy to accommodate. I’m going to own the after Halloween clearance aisle. πŸ™‚

Julie Wagner
    September 5, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Loving the new John Mayer album! In The Blood is one my faves!! Started decorating last night.. I couldn’t wait! πŸŒ°πŸŽƒπŸπŸ‚

Shelby
    September 6, 2017 at 7:04 am

Hi Jessica!

I’m sure you’ve mentioned it before, so I’m sorry to ask again – where is your wall picture frame from? I’ve been hunting for a quality studio frame for our home!

Thanks!

jessica
    September 6, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Hi Jessica – Just one question but nothing to deal with your post (sorry about that). You seems to be very interesting about slow life, slow cosmetics, what is your beauty routine ? Do you use a organic cleanser or just water to clean your face!

Sandra
    September 8, 2017 at 8:19 am

Hi Jessica,
    Love your posts and seeing what’s new in your life! πŸ™‚ You give so much inspiration! Do you have any blogs you recommend for first-time-moms? I’m 14 weeks, and would love to be following along with a blogger who is currently pregnant. Thanks for all the work you put into keeping us reading along!!

Brenna Boyd
    September 10, 2017 at 7:31 am

Love that spotted pillow but $120 holy cow! Can’t wait to see the Fall tour, is this your first Fall in this home? I can’t remember if you all were there last year. We just moved into a new home and I can not wait to decorate for Fall.

Mehgaan Jones
    September 12, 2017 at 6:36 pm

You’ve inspired me to decorate for Fall! Lovely post.

Elizabeth
    September 13, 2017 at 8:26 am

We are Fall lovers over here at WOM. Thank you for the cozy inspo! Lizzie @waitingonmartha xoxo

Meghan
    September 13, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Hi Jessica… long time follower that shamelessly shares your love of all things fall and HOCUS POCUS! I heard about this website from Jones Design Co. this summer that allows you to download any of it’s shared pictures for free. It’s amazing and the fall photos have me like !!!!!!
    Trying to pick a few to “autumn up” my space and thought you or your readers might enjoy the same.
    xo

Meredith
    September 15, 2017 at 6:31 am

love these ideas. I love your coffee table.

Megan S
    September 22, 2017 at 7:25 am

Hi Jessica! Fellow small town Iowa girl here (actually I’m from the neighboring/rival town that Brandon is from! πŸ™‚ ) You should add Grace Potter and the Nocturnals “Colors” to your fall playlist!