Our Family Room + Summer Movie List

I’m so excited to finally share our before & after of our back family room. Since we moved in, we have given it quite a facelift, lots of paint, new cabinet doors, updating the fireplace & mantle, and lots of love by way of comfy furniture & the girls art supplies scattered everywhere at all times.

If you remember, here is what the room looked like when we moved in. Lots of dark wood & late 70s brick, this was an addition to the house around that time and was so dated.

And here is the room now!

SOURCES: Couch (purchased from a local design floor sample sale) // Ottoman // Large Polka Dot Pillows // Small Polka Dot Pillow // Desk & Chalkboard DIY // Floral Artwork by Hannah Joiner Crosby // Jute Rug

So what do we use this room for mostly? Movies!! So I thought I would share our Summer Movie Lineup of great 90s movies that are (for the most part) appropriate for kids. A few of them we haven’t rewatched yet, but from memory, we loved them as kids!!

Homeward Bound
Honey I Shrunk the Kids (and Honey We Shrunk Ourselves)
The Parent Trap
Marry Poppins
Little Rascals
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Angels in the Outfield
AirBud
Free Willy
Space Jam
Little Giants
Rookie of the Year
Sandlot
Matilda
Man of the House
Mrs. Doubtfire (ok, this might not be age appropriate quite yet, but we might just have to watch it ourselves!)

Have you seen any/all of these?! What other great ones am I missing, would love to hear your faves!! Happy almost weekend, friends!! XO

Allie
    June 20, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Disneys Rocketman! So funny and cute!

Michelle
    June 20, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Oh my gosh, man of the house. Such a good one. 3 ninjas was always one of my favorites.

Meghan Hein
    June 20, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Love the room! You listed all of our favorites. We also have Beethoven and our kids think it’s hilarious!

Meredith Thompson
    June 21, 2019 at 6:21 am

It looks great!! love what you did to brighten up the place. Now tell me the secret to keep Marvin off the furniture 😉 our doodle seems to love for me to chase her when she tries to jump on the couch. She’s about to cause herself to find a new home LOL

Karissa
    June 21, 2019 at 9:06 am

It Takes Two! It’s on Netflix (and maybe Amazon actually) but my girls have been watching it for months and are just as obsessed as I used to be.

Also: It’s not 90’s but I remember watching reruns with my mom in the 90’s, but we have been watching Little House on the Prairie with them and they LOVE IT! So wholesome and comforting 💛

Becka
    June 21, 2019 at 9:16 am

My girls (3&4) love ‘Heavyweights’ & ‘Troop Beverly Hills’ (most of the “bad” stuff just goes over their heads haha)

Adding a few of these to our list!

Tierra
    June 21, 2019 at 9:22 am

Casper, Jumanji, Neverending Story, ET and Mighty Ducks!
    When they’re a little older, My Girl and Now and Then.
    We’re watching 90’s movies with our kids right now, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Erica patten
    June 21, 2019 at 9:36 am

We’ve been watching all the 90’s classics with our girls too and they LOOOVE them! Our lists look similar. Did you ever watch blank check or Ritchie rich? Also mighty ducks is a good one! My girls loved those!

Liz
    June 21, 2019 at 10:31 am

We live most of the ones mentioned but we also LOVE Harry and the Hendersons and Pete’s Dragon!!

Kelly L
    June 21, 2019 at 10:40 am

Gonna be (embarrassingly) honest—I love Mrs. Doubtfire 😆 Can’t wait to show my kiddo(s) awesome 90s nostalgia!!

Kristin Lester
    June 21, 2019 at 11:08 am

All of my favs made the list. It takes two! I loved that as a kid!

Kristin Lester
    June 21, 2019 at 11:11 am

Oh gosh – one more! 3 Ninjas! Rocky loves Emily! ah! Loved that one!

Cornette
    June 21, 2019 at 11:15 am

Nanny Mcphee is a favourite at our house!!

Liz
    June 21, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Such a good list — taking me back!! Our son will be four and a half this summer and we just introduced him to The Sandlot — he’s obsessed! It’s so funny how the appropriate humor changes in a generation — my husband and I quickly jumped to point out that “you play ball like a GIRL!” is a COMPLIMENT not an insult! HA! (Also — LOV.ING. that white brick!!!)

Colette
    June 21, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Great list!Maybe add Heavyweights, Richie Rich and The Babysitters Club!!

Brittany Williford
    June 21, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Dennis the Menace! I think all of the others are on our list! We love them all.

Sarah Wilson
    June 21, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Now and Then!!!

Katie
    June 21, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Great movies: Here are a few others that brings me back to being a kid
    Beethoven
    Blank Check

HCardinal
    June 21, 2019 at 1:28 pm

You need to add Girls Just Want to Have Fun to your list! Just watched it with my 5 year old and she loved it – didn’t even think the 80’s dance competitions were weird.

Hanna
    June 21, 2019 at 1:33 pm

The Goonies! (I think it might actually be an 80s movie) but one of our oldies that we loved as kids!

Martha
    June 21, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Mighty Ducks, The Big Green, Honey I Blew Up the Kid, Blank Check, & Zenon!

Melissa
    June 21, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Movie list is so good! My son has loved the Sandlot so much since he started playing baseball last year (age 5). It was his birthday party theme last summer and basically it made my life! (Warning, the name calling scene is quoted on a daily basis now though. Lots of gross stuff in that. 🤣)

Kaitlin
    June 21, 2019 at 8:03 pm

We just watched Harry and the Hendersons tonight. I had totally forgotten about this movie and I’m so glad we found it again. The kids loved it.
    It’s on Netflix too!
    Also…Flight of the navigator is a classic

Natalie Hill
    June 22, 2019 at 1:09 am

Mr. McGorium’s Wonder Emporium
    Nanny McPhee, Nanny McPhee Returns
    Winn Dixie
    Dreamer (horse movie)
    Cinderella (2015) (love the quote, Have Courage, Be Kind)
    Shaggy Dog (2006 and 1959)
    Enchanted
    Mirror Mirror (Snow White)
    Ever After (A Cinderella Story as well-a favorite)
    Cheaper By the Dozen
    Old Kurt Russel Classics
    Happy Days (series)
    Andy Griffith Series
    Bridge to Teribithia -based on a book (but has a sad part in it that addresses losing someone-no scene of the death, but explanation of a tragedy and why a friend did bot show up)
    Fried Worms (my son could not stomach it, but it is based on the classic book)
    Herbie Fully Loaded (and the old classic Herbie movies)
    Lucielle Ball collection
    Waltons series (to this day our kids love as teens and adults)
    Little House on the Prairie series (same as above)
    Chronicles of Narnia (we love all of them, but when our kids were little we forwarded through the scene Aslan hands himself over to the white witch) As they got older we permitted them to see it. We did not want them having bad dreams of the characters in that scene. It is very whimsical and well made. My favorite is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” The music is beautiful in it too.
    101 Dalmatians (animated, the others I mentioned were the live)
    Karate Kid (the newest version)
    Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies are the best (really funny)
    Bing Crosby movies
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    College Road Trip (comedy, so funny!)
    Water Horse
    Spirit (horse animation)
    Ice Age movies
    Over the Hedge
    Open Season
    My kids loved and still do McGuyver (he never uses a gun but science to get out of situations)
    Wonder -being different, coping, rising above
    Hidden Figures (well maybe date night?)
    Black Beauty
    Nim’s Island
    Toy Story movies
    The Incredibles
    The Wizard of Oz
    Up
    How to Train a Dragon
    Monsters, Inc.
    Wall-E
    Despicable Me
    Mulan
    Hook
    Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs
    Charlotte’s Web -both versions (animated and live)
    Anne of Green Gables
    Anne with an E (series)
    Remember the Titans
    Jungle Book (cartoon and live)
    Ratatouille
    101 Dalmatians and 101 Dalmatians 2
    Big Hero
    Pete’s Dragon (old classic and new version)
    Tangled
    Lassie movies or series
    No More Baths
    The Rookie
    Field of Dreams
    Beauty and the Beast (animated or 2017)
    Freaky Friday (1976)
    Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
    Newsies (1992)
    Magnificant
    Peter Pan
    Robin Hood
    Cool Runnings -comedy and triumph
    Cars
    The Mighty Ducks
    Hugo
    Oliver Twist
    Annie

A great book series -The Boxcar Children (listening to the stories keeps you captivated)
    Kung Fu Panda
    Brother Bear
    Tarzan
    Dumbo

Nichelle
    June 22, 2019 at 5:45 am

Love these before and after pictures, the way you style your home is perfection. I may have to add the kite rug into my dining space. Marvin is the cutest accessory.

It’s raining here in Montana on the second day of summer I think my kids and I will
    be watching some of these 90s movies which are a fav around here.

Lynn
    June 22, 2019 at 10:44 am

Hi – Love how your room turned out. You have great style and have given me inspiration for our living room and what to do with open shelves so thank you so much for sharing. Would you mind letting me know if the ottoman is charcoal gray or gray linen been looking for something exactly like this for a while and I love the color you have. Thank you for your time to reply.

Abbey
    June 22, 2019 at 5:18 pm

What is the name of the stain that you used on your floors?? Love them!

kate
    June 23, 2019 at 5:55 pm

We loved Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead! Your girls are probably too young, but what a classic!

Brooke Magee
    June 23, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I loved Tom & Huck. Anything with JTT.

Blair
    June 24, 2019 at 9:35 am

we just watched Mary Poppins, Mac and Me, and Matilda. My girls were scared of Matilda a little but loved it as well.

Arley ODonnell
    June 27, 2019 at 11:01 am

Summer Rental starring John Candy is a favorite of ours. It’s so under rated!

Jami Delgado
    June 27, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Man of the house was my absolute favorite when I was a teenager. I even played the same song in my wedding as when they walked down the isle. (Return to innocence)
    Also, Camp Nowhere was a 90’s fav

June 28, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Love the makeover of this room! Angels in the Outfield and Mrs. Doubtfire are the most quoted movies of my childhood- Love them, timeless classics!!