Mini Indoor Herb Garden

I’ve never had a green thumb, but I was determined at the start of Spring to grow some herbs in our kitchen! It seems like most recipes I make call for some fresh herbs, but when I buy them at the store, I never use them all. I wanted to share this for anyone who is at all intimidated by potting your own, because I am majorly kicking myself for not doing this sooner! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also, obsessed with this cargo dress, so cute for spring (and also practical, because #pockets).

Step 1: Pick your herbs. I grabbed these from Home Depot for about $4 each, and chose the ones I use most often: cilantro, mint, parsley & green onion.

Step 2: Pick your planter. I thought it would be easiest to pot them all together, since I don’t have a window behind my kitchen sink, I knew I might have to move them around the house a bit to catch the best light (currently they live in the dining room or in the laundry room window). I found this pot for under $30 that could hold four small plants & came with the cutest scissors for cutting them! I couldn’t pass it up!

Step 3: Fill the bottom of your planter with about an inch of potting soil. Using a pot of water, dip the entire bottom of the herb in the water, and then snuggle it up inside the planter. Do this for all of the herbs, and top off with a bit of potting soil.

Step 4: Watch them grow! They like lots of light & to be watered whenever the top of the soil feels dry. Or at least that’s what the sweet lady at the store told me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So easy! And we have already used them every night this week. Now if we can only figure out what we are going to plant outside! Let us know if you have any favorites that are easy to keep alive! XO

Scroll to shop sources + more fun planter ideas below.

Allison
    March 30, 2017 at 11:23 am

Love this! I tried to grow herbs in small pots on the windowsill behind our sink a few years ago but they did not like it there because there was not enough sunlight so sadly they didn’t make it…but your awesome planter find (I think it’s the “free” scissors) just may inspire me to try again (just in a different window haha)!

Jessica Garvin
      March 30, 2017 at 5:28 pm

It was totally the scissors that did it for me too ๐Ÿ˜‰

Erin
    March 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Very cute, fresh herbs are the best. I got an Aerogarden for Christmas and love it. You might want to separate the mint from your other plants though, I think their roots are very invasive.

Mary Anne
    March 30, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Love your outfit! I have definitely always been intimidated but completely love this.

March 30, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Awesome tip to dip the bottom of the herbs in water. No wonder all mine have died!!

Emily
    March 30, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Hi I’ve read your blog since Harper was a wee babe and probably commented maybe 3 times total, but I just had to say thank you for posting this. I was actively googling “indoor herb garden” yesterday and everything was just too complicated and the lack of windowsill in my kitchen was bumming me out. This is perfect – THANK YOU!

Jessica Garvin
      March 30, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Aw well I appreciate your comment, thanks for reading!!! XO

Mindy
    March 30, 2017 at 5:03 pm

We live in the heat too and our Lantana plants are growing like crazy. They have big bunches of purple and pink flowers and are drought resistant. They are the closest I can get to hydrangeas and bloom March to September!!!!

Laura Miller
    March 30, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Love! ๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸƒYou might want to move the mint to a separate container. Mint tends to take over!

Jessica Garvin
      March 30, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Crazy, I had no idea! I will move it to it’s own, I kinda wanted to add rosemary anyway! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Amanda Bayles
      March 31, 2017 at 5:36 pm

It’s agree! Mint will consume everything and it’s so hard to get rid of in places you don’t want (I learned that the hard way)! It’s best in its own little pot. I hope your herb garden thrives! It looks darling!

Kendra
    March 30, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Mint is cray…give it its own pot, ASAP!! So pretty – might have to try this! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Lilly
    March 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Be careful planting mint or cilantro outside – they grow and grow and spread and spread! They will take over if they aren’t contained! That being said, parsley and cilantro are still my two favs to grow in my herb garden! Give garlic a try too!

Amanda
    March 30, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing after having mint take over my garden! ๐Ÿ™‚ It tends to make the other herbs taste “minty” too. Rosemary and thyme are great adds! Love the tips and happy gardening!

Taylor Edmiston
    March 31, 2017 at 4:56 am

I literally just planted indoor herbs this past weekend! I found these cute little hanging pots at IKEA that made me finally just do it! My mint had already grown a lot so I definitely believe the comment above that it can take over ๐Ÿ™‚

Tiffanie
    March 31, 2017 at 6:31 am

I love this idea. My girls and I have started a growing a few things. We have green beans peas green peppers and cucumbers. We started them inside and will be moving them outside soon. We usually buy a tomato plant. And will be doing an herb garden. I second moving your mint to a seperate container. We had mint growing in our front and it just took over

Sam
    March 31, 2017 at 6:41 am

I love this idea! I saw this planter at CB last week and now I have to go back for it!

Holly
    March 31, 2017 at 7:44 am

Where did you get your ATL hat? I absolutely love it!

March 31, 2017 at 7:54 am

Great idea!! I planted some herbs outside (rosemary and basil!) that actually survived quite awhile considering I always forgot to water them. Since they were outside, I also would forget to use them haha. I like the idea of doing a little pot indoors!! And we have a big kitchen window so that would be perfect!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

Holly Buckingha
    March 31, 2017 at 7:58 am

I have been eyeing this dress! what size did you get??

Anna
    March 31, 2017 at 8:38 am

Love your hat! Where did you get it?

Kitty
    March 31, 2017 at 4:56 pm

That’s a great idea!!! I’ll have to try that; we use basil and oregano the most here. Before we sold our house, my father in law helped us make a garden of vegetables! It was great to have fresh peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and eggplant. The peppers and tomatoes grew so fast that we were giving away bags of them so they wouldn’t go bad after we picked them!

Lauren
    April 2, 2017 at 1:26 pm

If you’re looking for ideas in a garden, we’ve found snap peas, beets and onions to be easy and low maintenance. I’ve been known to kill almost all house plants, except I’ve managed to keep alive a snake plant and rubber leaf plant near our back door. I love the life they bring to the house ๐Ÿ™‚