It’s almost Summer and we are gearing up with tons of fun summertime inspired posts. We love essential oils & all of their amazing benefits, and seasonal, festive DIYs are just an added bonus. I wanted to share a few of the things we have been using them for in the last few weeks, tons of fun ways to incorporate them into your everyday that I hope you will love.
1. Mermaid Hair Leave-in Conditioner // In a 2oz. glass spray bottle, combine 1/4 cup distilled water + 1 tablespoon coconut milk + 10 drops essential oil (lavender + rosemary). Shake before each use + store in the refrigerator. PS. Did you know that you can also add a few drops of Lavender to your shampoo during every hair wash to promote healthy hair growth!?
2. Outdoor Spray // Fill a 4oz glass bottle with close to 2oz. each of witch hazel & distilled water. Add 10 drops Lemongrass + 10 drops Lavender + 5 drops Geranium + 5 drops Citronella. Shake before each use and avoid spraying on face, I prefer to spray lightly on back of the head/shirt & around ankles/shoes. I also mist this in the air around the deck before we sit down for dinner outside!
3. Sugar Scrub // Sugar scrubs are so fun because the possibilities are endless! The ratios that I use are 1 cup of sugar (white or brown) + 1/4 cup of oil (coconut, almond or jojoba)+ 10-15 drops of essential oil. This makes one small mason jar which should last a few weeks! Using these ratios, you can pretty much make any kind of sugar scrub using things you have on hand. A few of my favorite oil combos are Orange + Stress Away, Lavender + Geranium OR Grapefruit + Peppermint. These make amazing gifts, you can triple the recipe and make a few smaller jars to give to teachers, moms, etc. Please note to avoid peppermint if nursing and to avoid citrus oils on skin before spending time in the sun.
4. Sweet Summertime Room Spray // In a 15 oz. spray bottle, add 10 drops Orange + 10 drops Stress Away + 5 drops Peppermint + 5 drops Lavender and top with distilled water. Mist around your home or on linens to freshen the room (from 12+ inches to make sure oil does not stain) for a summery, beachy vibe!
5. Homemade Play-Dough // You will need 1 cup of flour, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of salt, 1 tbsp. cream of tartar, 3-5 drops of essential oil (I love using Lavender, Stress Away or Peace & Calming) + food coloring of your choice. Whisk together all ingredients (except the oil) in a large pot on medium heat, stir until mixture becomes thick & clumpy, once it sticks together, pull out of the pot and place on wax paper to cool. One the play-dough has cooled, add your essential oils and mix well with your hands. This is such a fun activity to do with your kids, and using calming/relaxing essential oils will provide an aromatic environment that is soothing and entertaining at the same time!
We absolutely love oils & believe that every household should have them. If you don’t already use oils & want to get learn more, you can read more over here! In this post, I talk about 8 Ways We Use Essential Oils Everyday and to find any of the bottles or rollerballs mentioned above, it is all covered here in My Favorite Oil Swag.
What exactly does the mermaid hair spritz do? Does it just texturize or something? 🙂 Love the post and being apart of your team! We’re diffusing orange, lemon, and stress away in the kitchen right now.
Jessica Garvin says
It is a leave in conditioner 🙂
I want to make them all!
Nina Healy says
Hi! I’m interested in learning more about essential oils, but every time I consider ordering, it seems confusing. I like the diffuser in the aria set, but it’s expensive!! Then I have to add extras before placing the order in addition to the $260? Is here an option to just purchase the diffuser and some oils to try it? Such a big initial commitment…..
Jessica Garvin says
Hey Nina! You can start with one of the less expensive diffusers like the Dew Drop and the starter kit will then only be $160 (with 11 of the most commonly used oils). You do not need to add the extra rewards kit unless you want to, I recommend usually skipping that until you’re ready to order more oils. HOpe that is helpful!
I’m slowly figuring out essential oils and just got enough stuff to make some outdoor bug spray. I’m so excited to finally try it!
Are these safe around kids very thing I am reading about essential oils says do not use around kids less than 12! So confused! We have a diffuser but my husband and I only use in mornings after a workout before kids wake up because we are paranoid by what we have read! Any advice is appreciated !
Jessica Garvin says
When you are using 100% therapeutic grade essential oils from Young Living, most oils & blends are safe around kids as long as they are properly diluted or diffused in a well ventilated room. Most oils have disclaimers on them if they should not be used on young kids (like eucalyptus or mints when babies lungs are under developed) but there are oils like Lavender or Gentle Baby that I have been using around my kids since they were just a few weeks old 🙂 Hope that is helpful!
Hi Jessica! At what age do you recommend starting to use essential oils in the home around babies? I have a 2 month old and a 2 year old at home. I’m dying to use them but want to keep my little ones safe!
Jessica Garvin says
It just depends, I started as early as six weeks by rubbing a bit of lavender on their swaddles. I am always comfortable diffusing around the kids in open spaces with good air circulation, or using just 1-2 drops of Lavender or Gentle Baby Blend in their rooms 🙂 You can check out the book on amazon called Gentle Babies which is a great resource!!! XO
Jessica, your outdoor spray – is this a mosquito repellent? If not, is there a mix you recommend? And is it safe to put on kids skin? I trust your opinion. Thanks!
I made this room spray and LOVE it. It’s subtle enough for linens. I am going to spray my guest room with it for a few days before family arrives. I want them to feel fresh and cozy while they stay!
Hi Jessica, Have used a machine to do the writing “mermaid hair” on the bottle ? I’m looking for a machine to do the same things on my carrier oil ! (jojoba, black seed oil are my favorites!).
Because you are very interested about essential oil, carrier oil, did you ever used a soap homemade ? You can used it for you entire family. This soap are very gentle for you skin and do not contained any chemical stuff ! It’s very popular in Europe.
The oils used are not heated and retain all their benefits. You can check Ground Soap website, it’s Canadian Brand but very popular in Canada, Europe…